Re: [dispatch] VIPR - proposed charter version 3

2010-07-01 13:48:55
Hi Roni,

Comments inline below and some snipping of the thread.

Thanks,
Mary.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Roni Even
<ron(_dot_)even(_dot_)tlv(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
Mary,
When I read the charter it is not clear why from the first paragraph you
deduct the second paragraph.
If the first paragraph will say
" The goal of this working group is to enable inter-domain communications
over the Internet, using protocols such as SIP, while still allowing people
to use the called person assigned circuit switch phone number for
identifying the person with whom they wish to communicate. "
It may look clearer.
[MB] We could change "phone number" to "called person assigned circuit switch
phone number for identifying the person", but I think that "phone
number" is well
understood to be exactly what you want to describe it as.  [/MB]

Still this is based on the assumption that using other ways to assign and
authenticate SIP phone numbers using central databases is not catching up
because the carriers object to implement it and not due to any other reason
like preferences of enterprises IT to use PSTN for calls because of better
quality of service and manageability.
[MB] I'm not certain (personally) that the latter preferences you note
are as prevalent as you might suggest. I would still contend that the
larger issue is the former. However, if other folks share this
concern, we can certainly add that as well - it reflects equally as
being a non-technical reason for widespread implementation [/MB]

Roni Even