Re: Comments on <draft-cooper-privacy-policy-01.txt>

2010-07-15 00:58:06

On 7/14/2010 2:53 PM, John C Klensin wrote:
--On Wednesday, 14 July, 2010 05:39 -0700 Dave CROCKER
<dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>  wrote:
On 7/14/2010 2:10 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
as to the network, how many people and times need to tell you
that the ops team is unaware of anyone doing anything
untoward with people's packets or other data?

How is that relevant?

If no one had suggested either that someone might be capturing
private data or tracking the contents of IETF network traffic
for either evil purposes or unauthorized/ undocumented research
on human subjects, we presumably wouldn't be having this
discussion, relevant or not.

Between your use of the "or" and the "presumably", your response does not seem a very definitive.

The fact of the matter is that a privacy policy draft was put forward.

Whatever prompted it, it's not that remarkable to have such an effort. Stray assurances that there's never been a problem so far might or might not be valid. That doesn't really matter. What matters is that privacy is a serious topic that should be taken seriously.

Given that the effort effort was initiated, a variety of implications follow. I was merely citing one, based on references that were made to using the data for "research".

The assumption that simply posting a notice constitutes sufficient "permission" to disclose data is one more example of the challenges we face in producing reasonable policies and following them.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking