Re: China Visas

2010-07-28 20:38:28

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010, Andrew Allen wrote:

As someone who has entered China at least 13 times I can say that
for at least US citizens and US residents the visa period usually
starts the day of your intended entry into China not the day you
apply.

*** OLE: Very definitely NOT true. Yes, the permission to STAY in
China starts when you arrive, but the visa itself has a "Must arrive
before" date on it, the clock starts when it is issued. Since most US
citizens seem to get 6 month or longer duration visas, this is
probably not something most folks will ever notice, but since it
happened to me I wanted to give the warning.

Obviously applicants need to BE AWARE and make sure the visa is
valid for the meeting but for many of us it is essential that the
invitation letters be available a long while in advance so we can
apply without impacting other trips due to our passports being in
cog nito

***OLE: Right, except that you can apply for a tourist visa which
requires no invitation letter.

Andrew