RE: Nomcom Enhancements: Improving the IETF leadership selection process

2010-07-31 05:53:51
I saw proposals for two pools from which nomcom members might be chosen. I
don't think that anyone is proposing that once chosen, there is any distinction
between the 10 voting nomcom members. When I was a liaison to nomcom, it seemed
to me that the ten voting members acted as peers, with no one knowing, nor
caring, whether any particular member had attended 3 IETFs or 50. This "ten
peers" approach should and I expect will continue regardless of how the 10
voting members are chosen.

Each nomcom member comes in with their own experiences and personalities. Thus
for example one voting member might have more experience with one IETF area,
and another might have more experience in a different IETF area. Similarly,
some might have management experience in the IETF, some might have management
experience inside their employer, and some might have implemented
communications protocols. Each can talk from their point of view. In my
experience as nomcom liaison it seemed very valuable that some of the nomcom
voting members had significant experience in IETF leadership. It also seemed
very valuable that all of the voting members appeared to be taking the process
very seriously and doing their best to do the right thing (which was also true
the one time that I was on a jury - a somewhat similar and also very important
process). That being said, However, each needs to listen carefully and then
make up their own mind based on their own judgment of what is best for the IETF
and for the Internet.

That being said, I think that the points idea is interesting.

Ross