Re: Nomcom Enhancements: Improving the IETF leadership selection process

2010-07-30 08:27:37
At 06:15 AM 7/30/2010, Aaron Falk wrote:

On 7/30/10 9:46 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> On Jul 30, 2010, at 3:11 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:
>
>> Just to add my two cents to this discussion from a (past) noncom chair perpsective, having more experienced IETF participants on the Nomcom helps tremendously. It makes it far easier for the noncom chair and non-voting members (previous nomcom chair and liaisons) to stick to the roles as specified in RFC 3777 in terms of facilitatng and ensuring the integrity of the process and not influencing the decisions of the nomcom. In the end, each voting member gets one vote (using a methodology agreed by the voting members), so the positives of ensuring the nomcom has experienced members far outweigh any perceived negatives in my experience.
>>

> I was discussing this with various people yesterday - maybe it would be useful to have a "moving average" NOMCOM, with a two year term, and 50% replacement each year. Once that was set up, I think that the need for experienced hands would diminish - one year on the NOMCOM seems to be quite a bit of experience.

I don't think Mary is talking about members with previous nomcom experience but rather more IETF experience. I agree. In fact, why should we have nomcom members with little IETF experience picking our leadership?

I agree completely on this point, even if it means having a 2-tiered system of half the current 3-of-5 meetings, and have (something like) 10-of-15 (or more) meetings.

it's a thought (that goes to what Aaron is talking about)

James

--aaron