Re: Varying meeting venue -- why?

2010-08-12 16:49:38
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 04:41:35PM -0500, Barry Leiba wrote:

One thing this suggests to me is that the people who are prone to
taking the survey favour the idea of variety.

Or the sample is biased in any of the other countless ways we can
think of.  The basic problem is that the survey sample is
self-selected.

I actually think this is a reason _not_ to use surveys of that sort as
evidence in the decision-making process, because it moves the
legitimacy of the decision making from the body empowered under the
usual IETF process to the participants in the survey (who weren't
vetted by Nomcom or anyone else).  But I'm hinkey about surveys this
way (even though I did fill it out).  Another answer would be for the
IAOC to adopt the survey as an official decision-making tool, and then
tell community members that they get what they deserve if they don't
answer the survey.  (One way of reading some remarks about Quebec is
that this has already happened.)

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com
Shinkuro, Inc.