Re: Varying meeting venue -- why?

2010-08-12 13:06:17
I'm sure other people remember this, but ...

I know you meant it in jest, but to be clear to everyone else, qualifying a new venue is a lot of work.

One point raised during the plenary is that we might be able to save
money if we regularly return to a given venue. Is it possible to
quantify those savings based on experience in, say, Minneapolis?

My understanding is that Minneapolis kind of fell off the truck due to problems with IETF attendees getting US visas, and not because of other considerations. We've met there a lot in the past 10 or so years. People complained, but not in ways that prevented us from meeting there repeatedly.

So if we were going to quantify savings based on return visits, could I suggest that we pick another place to quantify (perhaps "Vancouver" - we've been there a couple of times lately, and I happen to be sitting in a hotel right now - but anyplace outside the US would work for the concern I was raising).

Spencer