RE: Varying meeting venue -- why?

2010-08-12 10:57:26
I can think of several reasons to move meetings around:

Reasons that seem obvious to me:

 - To spread the pain and cost of participation among the many active
participants who contribute in a major way to our work (but who come from
multiple different continents).

 - To increase the potential number of sponsors, since potential sponsors will
frequently want to sponsor a meeting which is in a part of the world where they
have a major corporate interest (such as a headquarters).

Reasons that are probably also good, but which we might debate:

 - For regular attendees, to avoid the boredom of always going to the same
place and/or instill a bit of interest

 - To encourage locals to drop by and see what we are doing at least once, for
a wide variety of localities.

Ross

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave CROCKER
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:33 PM
Cc: IETF discussion list
Subject: Varying meeting venue -- why?

On 8/11/2010 9:00 AM, Scott Brim wrote:
I also believe that the goal of moving the meeting around is to minimize
the cost of getting our work done,

Hmmm.  I'm going to ask some very silly, very basic questions in the hope that
clear consensus statement emerges from it:

      What is the reason we move the meetings around?

      Why do we not simply choose a single venue and have all our meetings
there?

      If there is benefit in meeting in 'new' locations rather than a fixed set
      of one or more places, what is that benefit?

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking