Re: Varying meeting venue -- why?

2010-08-12 11:08:05
On 08/12/2010 11:50 EDT, Ross Callon wrote:
I can think of several reasons to move meetings around:

Reasons that seem obvious to me:

- To spread the pain and cost of participation among the many active
participants who contribute in a major way to our work (but who come
from multiple different continents).

- To increase the potential number of sponsors, since potential
sponsors will frequently want to sponsor a meeting which is in a part
of the world where they have a major corporate interest (such as a
headquarters).

Exactly

Reasons that are probably also good, but which we might debate:

- For regular attendees, to avoid the boredom of always going to the
same place and/or instill a bit of interest

I think it's more to avoid the boredom of the meeting planners. :-)

- To encourage locals to drop by and see what we are doing at least
once, for a wide variety of localities.

I wouldn't allow this reason.  Let the ISOC do that.