Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-11 12:28:43
Hi Bob -

A hallway conversation is NOT by default an "IETF Session" or even an "IETF
Activity" in any way, shape or form and to be clear, it's unclear whether or
not even a Bar BOF as semi-formal as it is should be considered an IETF
Session.

If we go more targeted to the definition - typically, only about 5-10 folk
stand up to talk at any given WG meeting session (and from what I've observed,
they're 90% the same people meeting to meeting) and maybe 2-3 times that at the
Plenary (not counting the chair, etc) (also somewhat the same people meeting to
meeting).  So, not the raw attendance data.  If you want to go through all the
minutes and attempt to prove your assumption - have at it.  But only rarely
have I seen a single time "local attendee" "contribute" (and I mean this in
same way the NOTE WELL means it - provide a legally actionable "contribution")
at a WG meeting. In the broader, non-NOTE WELL sense, I agree all attendees
contribute in some manner, but that's not what this is about.

In a private note to Scott I noted that including all posters to mailing lists
("written or electronic communications") seems to be a bad idea for this
purpose.

Mike