Re: Varying meeting venue -- why?

On 8/11/10 10:32 AM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
      What is the reason we move the meetings around?

1. Venue currently depends on sponsor

2. Some people like to go to new places

My impression is that, indeed, these are the highest priorities, notably higher than reliability and adequacy of venue performance. I intend that as an objective statement of relative priorities demonstrated over the last 20 years, not as (my usual) complaint about them. We should try to get some clarity about community priorities.

The argument for sponsor priority is always the money. Changing this priority requires thinking through the financial impact carefully. Bob Hinden showed a slide estimating that a host covers roughly US$200K of expenses. IMO we tend to consider this amount as a localized item, relative to only a few expenses, rather than as part of an aggregate analysis of total community costs. For example, it does not help aggregate costs to reduce the attendance fee by US$200 if getting to the venue costs an additional US$300...

As for tourism, I like that too, but I don't think it should be very high on our list of priorities, unless there is some compelling demonstration that it improves productivity, or the like. For example, I think that aggressively working to reduce the risk of venue failure should be a much higher priority. I also think that accessibility to the widest range of participants should be a much higher priority. Extra travel costs and time, and areas dominated by housing and other resources that are expensive are examples of narrowing the range.

      Why do we not simply choose a single venue and have all our
meetings there?

Or perhaps three venues, one on each continent of interest.

My question was why? We should establish a baseline rationale for the template we choose.

Asserting a goal of multiple continents defines a different template. Maybe it's the preferred one; maybe it isn't. My question is intended to get us to state reasons and get some consensus about them.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking