Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-11 13:43:37
Sorry - forgot to add:

"or portion thereof" refers to things like design teams, not a random group of
people who happened to sit in the WG session.

Mike

At 02:40 PM 8/11/2010, Michael StJohns wrote:
Andrew -

Interesting take but one that probably isn't supported by the black letter
reading of the Note Well.

In general, the Note Well describes the class of things that might be
contributions, but for them to become actionable contributions, they need to
make it into the IETF record.  I assume anything I say at the microphone in a
WG meeting can and will make it to the record - I further assume that anything
I happen to say to someone sitting next to me in that WG won't unless and
until one of us gets up and goes to the mike.

Or as Tom Clancy pointed out - "If you don't write it down, it didn't happen".

Or to stretch the analogy further - if I send an email to you and CC the ietf
or namedroppers list, that's a contribution.  If I send you a private email
about say PKIX to you as a non-WG chair, that's not a contribution.  If I send
you a private email about something related to DNSEXT to you as the WG chair,
it MAY become a contribution if added to the record and you as WG chair may
choose to add it to the record in some form.

So, no, private conversations even on WG topics, even at the IETF meeting
venue not in the context of a WG or plenary or other official communications
are not contributions unless and until added to the record.

Mike