Re: Tourist or business visa from US?

2010-08-24 11:31:20

--On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 12:15 -0400 Edward Lewis
<Ed(_dot_)Lewis(_at_)neustar(_dot_)biz> wrote:

At 8:24 -0700 8/24/10, Fred Baker wrote:
In the many times I have visited China, I have gotten a
business  visa once, and it was seriously not worth the
effort.

I plan to get a tourist visa.

I've done both (as a US passport holder), the difference in
process was negligible to me.  (They certainly cost the same.)

In general, I'd err on calling a conference "work" if there
was any relevance to my day job.

In some countries I am asked why I arrived, I don't recall
ever being asked this in the Peoples Republic of China.

FWIW, I have been asked (although long ago and only once).  My
"normal" experience has been the one others have reported: check
passport for visa, check face and passport, stamp passport --
not a work spoken.    However, being very risk-adverse about
these things, I recommend Ed's advice unless the sponsor can get
a clear statement for us or there is a clear statement on the
embassy web site about professional meetings (IIR, there has
been from time to time).

      john