RE: Tourist or business visa from US?

2010-08-26 01:36:16
Dave Crocker [mailto://dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net] writes:

On 8/24/2010 8:28 AM, Mary Barnes wrote:
My question then is whether you tell them at border control that you
are
attending a meeting or whether you are there on vacation.  I am
unfortunately
not a good liar ;)

Let me get this straight.  You are going to go to China and you are
/not/ going
to do ANY site-seeing?  If the answer is yes, I think you have deeper
problems
than the visa...

My thoughts, exactly.

If you are doing some site-seeing, you are a tourist.  Saying you are a
tourist
is, therefore, not lying.

Are you planning on making sales pitches, signing contracts, getting
paid by
locals for work, writing code?  The concern for business visas is that
conduct
of these sorts of business activities. That is, commerce.  Merely having
conversation that are work-related is not (really) conducting business.

This is just what the Chinese Embassy told me when I asked before my first
visit...