Re: FW: [78attendees] WARNING !!! Re: Maastricht to Brussels-Nat-Aero, Sat 07:09

2010-08-26 02:20:17
Jordi,

Maastricht proved that the information provided by the train web sites was
totally FALSE.
This is something that the secretariat/IAOC SHOULD verify before accepting a
venue.

The Dutch railway site (www.ns.nl) is quite accurate.  It lists the trains,
arrival time, departure time and location where you have to change trains.
In the 6 years or so that I've been a regular train user, I still have to
come across a case where the website listed a train that the NS did not
intend to run.

Of course, the system is as good as its input data.  If there is a
technical problem or accident along a path, the website will notify
you about that as soon as the data is entered.  In practice, this means
some chaos and confusion the first 10-30 minutes after the incident,
then decent warning messages appear.

That said, please explain to me how the IAOC can verify that a train
sometime in the future, will not run according to schedule.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746