Re: [78attendees] WARNING !!! Re: Maastricht to Brussels-Nat-Aero, Sat 07:09

2010-08-27 05:06:56

On Aug 26, 2010, at 3:07 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

Hi,

I'm forwarding this message to the general IETF mailing list, because I
think we need a good discussion on this and the confirmation from the
secretariat/IAOC that this work will be done CORRECTLY NEXT TIME.

The fact is that if we don't make sure that a venue has good connections
then should not be candidate to be an IETF venue.

I'm not referring to plane vs train. I'm fine with train if the information
provided is accurate. Some times, for people in Europe, train can be more
convenient than planes, but this is only true if the train system is
reliable in general (of course, a strike, crash or anything like that is
something that we can't predict/avoid).

Maastricht proved that the information provided by the train web sites was
totally FALSE.

This is something that the secretariat/IAOC SHOULD verify before accepting a
venue.

I hope that we learn the lesson.

Jordi,

You are suggesting that the secretariat or the IAOC does research into the
correctness of information that is linked from the host site, correct?

If so: The host site is _not_ the responsibility of the IAOC or the
secretariat, it is the responsibility of the host. And although I would agree
that there should be some expectation that the host does its best to provide
accurate venue information one cannot expect the host to actually _test_
whether sites that (in their eyes) are supposed to give authoritative
information are actually correct.

Suppose that this link was not provided by the host.

You would probably have googled for "Maastricht Brussels Train"? That query
provides me with the mentioned site as first hit.  Would you have complained to
google that the first hit for that query contained false information?

But to the underlying point: I think the responsibility of the IAOC and
secretariat stops with providing accurate hotel and venue location information.
How to get from home to the venue is _your own_ responsibility by which you
might be aided through links provided by the hosts and hints and tips from your
colleagues on the various IETF lists. I would agree that it is fair to expect
that folk providing those hints and tips do so diligently but that is not the
responsibility of the IAOC or Secretariat.

On purely personal title,

--Olaf