Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-08-29 16:04:22
I did book into a hotel with colleagues as I noted, but we all had
different schedules/dinner plans for the most part. I did not book
into the conference hotel because experience in Vienna led me to
decide that it was more convenient overall to be in the city center.
Also, based on my experience of not getting served a meal I ordered at
the venue hotel restaurant, my eating situation overall would have
been significantly worse had a chosen to stay at the venue and thus
not travel into the city at nite for a meal.  BTW, I had one of the
best meals ever in Maastricht at Le Courage, but that still doesn't
mean the city is a great place for a business meeting.

Personally, I don't routinely travel to places where my safety is put
at risk.  The first and most important step for self defense is
avoidance. My participation in the meeting precluded me from avoiding
the situations.

My point overall is actually quite simple - none of these things are
issues if the meetings are held in larger international cities or
secondary cities where everything is nearby.  We've had plenty of
meetings in a variety of locations that satisfy that criteria. My
point has been that those should be the top priorities for planning a
meeting and the pleasantness of the geographic location, weather,
tourism opportunities etc. should not be important factors in
selecting a venue.

Best Regards,
Mary.

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Joel Jaeggli <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com>