Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-08-30 10:08:31
Yeah - we should stop, but you're just perpetrating the mentality that
has caused alot of the debate. Unfortunately, folks have
mis-interpreted the concerns a minority of us experienced at the IETF
(since we are a minority in terms of IETF participation) as a dislike
of Maastricht or lack of appreciation for the graciousness of the
host. It has nothing to do with either.  I personally found Maastricht
to be a charming city and the social was one of the best I've
attended. But, those two things IMHO have nothing to do with having an
effective business meeting that involves a diverse group of people.

The concerns raised  have to do with the fact that the meeting venue
did not satisfy the most basic requirements for a meeting that is
attended by a diverse group of people (who unfortunately are in the
minority) - access to food for people that are on restricted diets for
medical reasons,  personal safety and easy/convenient access to the
meeting venue (I can't fathom how someone that might be in a
wheelchair could have managed attending this meeting).  The fact that
we had lots of train hops wasn't that critical (although
inconvenient),  but I do have issue that the meeting was in city that
is not setup to handle international travelers that might arrive at
odd hours in the night.  I totally understand why the majority don't
get why this is a concern for some of us, but to dismiss it because it
wasn't an issue you personally have to deal with is the reason this
thread has gone on and on. Clearly, the concerns (of the minority) are
not considered important to others, which is a sad reflection on an
IETF that professes to be an open organization promoting participation
from a diverse group of people.

Best Regards,
Mary.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(_at_)shinkuro(_dot_)com>