Re: All these discussions about meeting venues

2010-08-29 18:24:03

On Aug 29, 2010, at 7:11 PM, Randall Gellens wrote:

At 6:12 PM -0400 8/29/10, John C Klensin wrote:

While our weighting factors are different, I think it is the
obligation of the Secretariat and the IAOC's meetings committee
to find locations at which the people who contribute
significantly can have an efficient and productive meeting, with
a minimum of distractions from logistical, health, and safety
problems.  While one can take the position that people who don't
find a meeting site appropriate should just not come, doing that
changes the profile of people who are invited to participate in
the IETF from "interested in the improvement of the Internet and
(we hope) technically competent and willing to do work" to
include "have sufficient free time to spend extra time traveling
relative to other cities in the same region, have no health
problems that make one location more attractive than another,
aren't women traveling alone or those whose dress is
distinctive, don't have problems with air of marginal quality or
special food requirements, etc."

It really comes down to which bias to apply in site selection: towards those
who want to be a tourist, or those who want to do work.

Based on my observation of and participation in the meeting selection process,
the IAOC is (and has been throughout its existence) strongly weighted towards
arranging meetings for those who want to do work. Touristic aspects hardly
enter in.

Regards
Marshall

I don't expect the Secretariat/ IOAC to cater to everyone's
slightest whim and I actually do expect those with special needs
to be willing to exert some extra effort, but I also expect that
the Secretariat/IAOC efforts will extend to making attendance
plausible for as broad a range of active participants as
possible.

I would have thought this to be obvious, but from the comments in Maastricht
and here, it's not.

--
Randall Gellens