Re: Tourist or business visa from US?

2010-08-30 11:27:28

--On Monday, August 30, 2010 08:46 -0700 Paul Hoffman
<paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org> wrote:

At 5:50 PM -0700 8/27/10, Randall Gellens wrote:
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that it depends on
the primary purpose of the visit.

...even though the first answer on the FAQ on the IETF site
says otherwise?

<http://www.ietf.org/meeting/79/faq.html>

Paul,

As has already been pointed out, there is some history of
different consulates giving out different advice on this subject
and, perhaps independently, of nationals of different countries
being given different advice about requirements in practice.
Those differences may be the result of different people asking
at different times and getting different snapshots of evolving
policies or they may be substantive and contemporary -- I have
no way tell.   All I am sure of if that one follows the advice
of the IETF Secretariat or host on an IETF website and consular
and/or immigration officials disagree, the positions of the
latter are going to prevail and that protesting that one
followed IETF's advice is unlikely to be helpful.

FWIW, I don't believe that continued circling around on the
issue and more reporting of anecdotal experience is helpful
(especially when the anecdotal experience is that of nationals
of countries whom the Chinese clearly treat differently from US
citizen applications).  YMMD, as always.

Perhaps just as a corollary of that, I continue to believe that
the _only_ sound advice is for people to get the application
process started as early as feasible, put any questions directly
to the relevant visa agency or consulate, and, preferably and if
possible, explain to them exactly how time will be spent in
China and let the consulate make the decision about visa types.

   john