Re: Meeting Venue Preference Survey

2010-08-30 13:20:38
On 30 aug 2010, at 19:57, Randall Gellens wrote:

8. Would you attend if we held the IETF in Africa?
9. Would you attend if we held the IETF in South or Central America?

Like the question on an earlier survey about Quebec City, I think it requires
more information and more individual research to have a good answer.  Which
venue in which city?  How hard is it to get to the city and venue?

Basically the only thing the survey gives us is how many people would never go
to a meeting on those continents regardless of the particular circumstances.
There wasn't even a "why not".

A few months ago the IEEE had its ICC conference in Cape Town. I believe around
800 people attended. For me this was about 13 hours of flying (MAD-AMS-CPT),
although there was no timezone change. For someone from North America that
would probably be a lot longer. My flight was affordable, but only available
during weekends so I was forced to stay a few extra days. I would say that the
security situation in Cape Town was barely acceptable, the mobile phone
infrastructure wasn't acceptable at all (almost impossible to make
international calls over the mobile network, including calls to colleagues also
in Cape Town) and internet access was also a huge problem but presumably the
IETF or host would take care of that if we were to meet in such a place. If
things are so problematic in the safer of the two biggest cities of the richest
country of the continent I can't imagine the IETF having a succesful meeting
elsewhere on the continent. Of course I can't know for sure after only vi
 siting one city in Africa once.