Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-01 17:39:21
Hi Marshall -

A method that works for any ratio using running totals:

Let NAp, Ep, Ap be the value of each regions part of the ratio (e.g. NAp = 1.7
for a 1.7:1:1)

Set NAt(0), Et(0), At(0) = 0

Set NAs= NAp/(NAp+Ep + Ap)  (basically the decimal version of the ratio),
repeat for Es and As

For each meeting 'i' let NAt(i) = NAt(i-1) +NAs - (if meeting in NA ? 1 : 0)
and repeat the same for each region.  [Basically add the meeting credit XXs
(NAs, Es, As) to the running credit total and subtract one from the credit if
the meeting is held in the region]

XXt(i) gives you the number of meetings "owed" to that region - or if negative,
the surplus.

This is easiest to see if you map it out on a spread sheet.

A simple model is to attempt first to plan a meeting in the region with the
greatest arrears falling back to the next greatest etc.

Any luck in deriving the other data I asked about?  E.g. looking only at the
Nomcom qualified and the "contributors"?

Thanks - Mike