Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-09-02 04:27:08
On 2 sep 2010, at 7:40, Christer Holmberg wrote:

In my opinion, the discussion whether we should change the meeting calendar
(not having meetings during summer vacation months etc) was much more
interesting and useful.

To revisit that: if we move up all the meetings by one month, we gain a number
of advantages:

- We avoid the middle of the vacation season, especially in Europe. This is an
advantage if we want to meet in places that also attract tourists, although it
could also be a disadvantage under some circumstances. Transport and other
services aren't in vacation mode.

- We can go further south for the summer meeting without overheating

- We can go further north for the autumn meeting without undercooling

A february meeting would be in the coldest part of winter, so that meeting
would have to be in a place where winters aren't too harsh. But then, march in
Minneapolis is no picnic either.