Re: Last Call: draft-ietf-mext-nemo-pd (DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation for NEMO) to Proposed Standard

2010-09-09 00:56:47
On Sep 8, 2010, at 7:58 AM, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:

I agree mainly with the document draft-ietf-mext-nemo-pd.

It is good and needed to dynamically assign a Mobile Network Prefix to
the NEMO-enabled Mobile Router.

However, here are a couple of missing points.

One missing point is about how will the Mobile Router configure its
default route on the home link?  I thought Prefix Delegation would bring
DHCP in the picture and would allow MR to synthesize a default route
even though RAs are absent.  But I now realize that a DHCPv6-PD
implementation (and std?) does not allow a router (MR) to synthesize its
default route (neither RA does, nor DHCPv6-nonPD does).

=> Am not sure I understand from your comment where the problem really lies.
If neither RA does the job nor DHCPv6 then why do you think this problem (if it
is really a problem) should be adressed in this particular draft and not in a
more
general way?

Wassim H.

Another missing point is that this spec talks _only_ one specific case
where DHCPv6-PD is used _without_ a real Relay: the MR is Client and
Relay and the HA is the Server DR.  My deployment is different: the MR
is not the Relay, just Client; and the Server DR is not HA.  For this to
work there are some modifications needed on the DHCPv6 Relay
implementation and std (manage the the allocated prefix in the Relay's
routing table).

I believe this model of deploying DHCPv6-PD (HA is not Server, Client is
not Relay) is inline with existing DHCPv4 deployments and that gives
an easy v6 migration path.

There are several ways of addressing these two missing points.

Alex