RE: [MEXT] Last Call: draft-ietf-mext-nemo-pd (DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation for NEMO) to Proposed Standard

2010-09-10 11:57:56
Alexandru Petrescu wrote:

Le 10/09/2010 11:58, Hesham Soliman a écrit :

On 10/09/10 7:55 PM, "Alexandru
Petrescu"<alexandru(_dot_)petrescu(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Le 10/09/2010 11:48, Hesham Soliman a écrit :

=>    Who cares, specify it in your product description. The
      IETF doesn't specify how to build products.

Hmm... to me it is a very IETF sensitive issue the Router vs
Host. For example, an ND spec says distinctively what a Host
and what a Router does, e.g. a Host does not respond to Router
 Solicitation.

=>   Yes and it does so on a per-interface basis, not on a
per-machine basis.

Yes, and the Mobile Router is a Router on its egress interface
when connected at home, as per spec.  It is that interface that
needs a default route automatically configured.

=>  Ok, so you're happy with it being half host half router when it's
away from home?

When it is away from home it is fully a Host on the egress interface.
When at home fully Router on same.  I am happy with it this way.

If so then let it do the same at home. Otherwise, I don't know how
you want to fix this in this WG.

It would mean to specify it to be a at home, be first a Host (get
default route) then change and become a Router, but still at home.

This behaviour could be set in the DHCPv6-PD-NEMO draft, being under
discussion now.

This is a non issue for this draft. This is not specific to NEMO but generic to
any DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation setup where the requesting router needs to
configures an address on its north side. It can do so as per the deployment
specifics, including, but not limited to, acting as a host on the north
interface and as a router on south interfaces -- please remember that Neighbor
Discovery is specified on a per-interface basis.

[ I also note that this draft has been more than 2 years in the MEXT working
group in which you are participating, which gave you ample time to comment on
this and other things... ]

--julien