Re: Registration of media type application/calendar+xml

2010-09-11 07:42:51
Although I agree, and will stipulate, that:

        -- Multiple syntaxes are nearly always a bad idea

and

        -- iCal is badly broken (in fact, more broken than any of the cited
articles indicate)

We don't live in the best of all possible worlds.  There is a demonstrable need
to continue to support iCal, and to have an interoperable XML format, until
something better comes along.  While I would enthusiastically support and work
on such a better calendar format (I will resist the urge to add my list of
additional problems with iCal to the discussion), I think we have to cope with
current reality, in which there is a growing demand for XML calendar
interoperation.

In other words:  iCal sucks but that's irrelevant.  Multiple syntaxes suck, but
sometimes they're necessary.  We've created a great big turd, and now we need
to periodically squirt perfume on it or it will only smell worse and worse over
time.  -- Nathaniel