Re: Fisking vs Top-Posting

2010-09-21 10:29:51
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 05:49:55 -0700 todd glassey wrote:

On 9/21/2010 1:44 AM, Nathaniel Borenstein wrote:
On Sep 20, 2010, at 7:20 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

One of the problems I have seen emerge on many IETF mailing lists is the
habit of fisking.

Please clarify what you mean by fisking.

By fisking I mean responding to a post  line by line *while reading it for
the first time*.

Thanks.  And why is this a bad thing, in your view?

I seem to be reading an increasing number of posts on various lists where
it is very clear to me that the poster did not bother to read the entire
message before starting their reply.

Perhaps they're just very busy people?  Are you too ignorant to have
thought of that?

The real issue here is that this is a mailing list and synchronization
of messages is nearly impossible through the IETF lists as they exist.
As a result of this really stupid, stone-age methodology any number of
issues including this one arise.

I don't see a problem with mailing lists in general, just with the
sometimes large delays (moderated lists?) that (at least)
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org uses.

--

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based
on this message or any information herein. If you have received this
and delete this message.

Thank you for your cooperation.

I was not the addressee.  Deleted.

---