RE: draft-iab-dns-applications - clarification re: Send-N

2010-10-20 15:52:06
So what is your point ..you don't use phone numbers so the rest of the
planet shouldn't?

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker [mailto:hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 4:42 PM
To: Paul Hoffman
Cc: bill manning; Richard Shockey; Ray Bellis;
draft-iab-dns-applications(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org;
ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: draft-iab-dns-applications - clarification re: Send-N

I don't much see the issue here.

Looking at my AT&T records, I have made about 1000 iphone calls in the past
year. Of those less than 50 are to numbers not in my contacts and I probably
dialed half of those using Safari.

Telephone numbers are not going away, but telephone dialing is already a
necessary legacy thing more than a current requirement.

At this point I don't think that there are any telephone numbers I dial from
memory.

I think that the underlying problem here is that the crappy POTS handsets on
sale today do not interface to Internet telephony systems well.

This whole problem would go away if Cisco and the other makers of VOIP
bridges worked out that the real market requirement here is for a box that
plugs into an ethernet port and connects to DECT6.0 telephones rather than a
box that plugs into an ethernet port and has telephone wires sticking out
the back.

That way the VOIP system knows how long the telephone number from the phone
book entry. Your basic problem here is that you are losing this information
by converting all your data to the obsolete POTS wire format and back.

Anyone who wants to do that should further realize that what they need to do
is to allow for multiple boxes on the same VOIP connection in a secure
fashion. DECT6.0 does not have the range to cover some houses and for some
reason the pinheads that designed it seem to think that 6 phones is enough
for one house.