Re: Alternative Proposal for Two-Stage IETF Standardization

2010-11-11 05:10:26

This is a significant improvement from my perspective.  We need a
mechanism to implement it.  The mechanism does not need to be heavy
weight, and it might be as simple as some statements in a Last Call,
allowing the community to support or challenge them.

If I understand both your statement here and your comment in the hallway
discussion, I suspect that the requirement would be satisfied by having
various
folk submit a form with some standard language on it, making an
attestation
along the lines of the language I submitted.

Said more plainly:  Some people would need to claim that the developed or
know
of an independent implementation that conforms to the spec and works with
other
specs.

Forgetting about the task of agreeing on the exact language, would this
suffice?

I guess the Last Call message would include something like:

     The following individuals and/or organization
     have stated that [...]:

Yes?

I think it would be sufficient to say something like: The following
implementations represent a significant Internet deployment and they are
based on the specification in RFC <n>:

  - <a>
  - <b>
  - <c>