Re: Feedback on Day Passes

2010-11-30 12:48:40
James, Tobias,

On Nov 29, 2010, at 10:46 AM, James M. Polk wrote:

At 12:39 PM 11/29/2010, Tobias Gondrom wrote:
Bob,

agree with James request for more detail on the used day passes, if
possible.

We took surveys of day pass users after IETF76, IETF77, and IETF78.  The
results can be found at:

IETF 76 - Hiroshima

https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=q7wUzp3Y7LpMd_2fHQZ_2bG6_2f407S5nGSHbzxbsOltYaqV0_3d

IETF 77 - Anaheim

https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=p0f3XCVFGjqzGX13hCcDDayhGXXS5zm5dcL9Sk6avpI_3d

IETF 78 - Maastricht

https://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=WQ_2bNSXS9_2bqPXQkbU1IrSnnAXsxefNAMdCl_2fkRwsBqD8_3d

The survey for Beijing just opened and was sent to people to bought day passes.

Personally, I believe the risen cost for day passes probably knocked out
some of the demand (basic supply-demand curve from economics ;-) ).
Probably day passes are more attractive to local participants who want
to get a taste of the IETF or only visit one WG session. And in
particular in China the cost of $350 is very high compared to local
salary levels, so am not surprised about the decline.

Well, I think $350 is high for any country for a day-pass. So IMO that should
be lowered regardless...

My personal view of day passes would be to allow first-time visitors
(especially when from the local area) to get a taste of work with the
IETF and reduce the initial hurdle.

this is actually an interesting idea - to give legitimate first-timers a
price break (and I'm talking about for the week, not just day-passes). That
might increase overall the numbers of local attendees (i.e., from that
country - where the travel costs aren't as great because the airfare isn't as
much or there is no airfare at all). Has this been considered?

The result of the surveys we took after the past three meetings showed people
who had only attended one meeting:

IETF76  33% (9 of 27)
IETF77  39% (26 of 67)
IETF78  75% (6 of 8) **

This is, of course, only the people who responded to the survey.  From the
registration data, Day Pass usage was 124, 135, and 71 for these meetings, and
total first time attendees was 267, 192, 194.  It's not clear to me how much
correlation there is between day passes and first time attendees.

We are taking a look at the registration data to see if people who bought a day
pass attended a single IETF meeting or continue to attend subsequent meetings.
I will also see if we can do a total correlation with first time attendees and
day passes.

I also note, that if we want to encourage first time attendees, we could have a
discounted full week registration fee targeted at that.  IMHO, that would be
better than the day pass if that is the intent.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob

** Note, this number was derived by setting up a filter on the survey data.

James

In this regard I welcome the day
passes and would even like to see them with lower prices. Not sure if
others would share this point of view.
But if we would have a common understanding on the purpose of day
passes, we could even tailor the experiment a bit to be more targeted:
e.g. only offer day passes to local newbies at a lower rate (in the $200
range or below) on conditions of only one day pass per person, only for
first time IETF attendance (have never attended an IETF before) and
maybe only if you live in hosting country or region (I figure we have
the list of past participants so could actually easily verify such
conditions).

Just my 5 cents.

Many greetings, Tobias