Re: Poster sessions

2011-01-10 15:48:58

On Jan 10, 2011, at 9:55 AM, Henk Uijterwaal wrote:

On 10/01/2011 14:57, Yoav Nir wrote:

On Jan 10, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Henk Uijterwaal wrote:

The costs for a poster session are almost 0.  Isn't this something we can
just try?

I don't agree that the costs are zero. You can't have the poster session last
all week long, because the presenter may want to go to other sessions. So we
need about 2 hours reserved for this. Maybe a morning session.

My idea would be that the pinboards for the posters are available from day one
onwards and people with a poster can put it up on Sunday.  Folks can come and
watch.  Select 2 or 3 coffee breaks where the person presenting the poster
must be near his poster for questions and discussion.

There are places where we wouldn't be able to do that in the break room / area
(i.e., we would have to
dedicate a room to posters, merely to keep them from being removed at night).
That seems like too much process to me.

My feeling is that one day for a poster session is enough (possibly with
different sessions on different days). You can buzz through a set of
uninteresting posters amazingly fast.

Regards
Marshall

Also, this puts another constraint on choosing a venue.  You need an area
with room for lots of people, and space to put the "booths" or "desks" all
around. For example, Anaheim did not have a good area to hold a poster
session. Maastricht did. No idea about Beijing.

As far as I remember Anaheim: it did have a few hallways between meeting
rooms and coffee pot.  Sounds like an ideal place for a poster session.
Beijing had the same options.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746