Re: prerequisite for change (was Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels)

2011-01-29 18:02:13
Hi Scott and John,

I don't see this as inconsistent with the current 2-stage proposal,
if the latter's omission of a requirement for independent interoperable
implementations for stage 2 is corrected.

I don't, however, believe that the problems are separable.
The bar for PS has crept up, IMHO, precisely because the bar
for DS/STD has appeared too high to be readily attainable.

So I see two ways forward that hang together:

1. draft-bradner-restore-proposed +
(draft-housley-two-maturity-levels + independent interoperable implementations)

2. draft-loughney-newtrk-one-size-fits-all-01 (i.e. simply abolish
the second and third stages, and make interoperability reports optional)

I prefer #1.

Regards
   Brian