Re: prerequisite for change (was Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels)

2011-01-31 13:18:21

On 1/30/2011 8:06 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 07:49:44AM -0800, Dave CROCKER wrote:
The current proposal specifies a second maturity level that does not
permit changing the technical specification.

Yes, I know.  I fail completely to see why anyone would ever do the
work for such movement of maturity level.  The proposal seems to me to
be something along the lines of giving gold stars to protocols with
people who are willing to do the busywork.

One of the challenges in the discussion of this topic on the IETF list is some very different models of the role of a standards label. Given the frequent view that only technical details matter, one would think that we are composed only of engineers who give little thought to organizational, social and psychological factors that might also affect adoption decisions...

One curiosity about this is that our documentation style for specifications permits far more tutorial and explanatory content than most other standards group, which one might take to indicate that we actually worry a bit about those who will adopt our work and that we actually want to help them. Yet our organization mode tends to consider 'publication' the end of our concern.

As folks in the communications game, the IETF tends to have a curious lack of interest in the 'feedback' portion of a Shannon-Weaver model[1], when it comes to protocol adoption. It's as if we stopped reading after the first Shannon paper.[2]

In any event, I thought the value proposition of the proposal's second label had been discussed at some length:

For significant portions of industry, the decision whether to adopt new technology relies heavily on an assessment of its stability and likely success. Some specs are nascent and fluid. Some are failed. Others are successful. As of now, it can be difficult for such folk to distinguish the real maturity of IETF proposals, since most are at Proposed.

So the proposal defines a second stage that serves the purpose of making an official statement of stability and success, by virtue of noting significant deployment. That can be helpful during the "market expansion" phase of adoption.

d/

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shannon%E2%80%93Weaver_model>

[2] <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/cm/ms/what/shannonday/shannon1948.pdf>
--