Re: MHonArc mail archive line wrapping

2011-02-15 14:54:19
good catch of the problem.
I suffered when I read IETF email on the web.
Would be great to see this fixed.

Lixia

On Feb 15, 2011, at 12:46 PM, Stuart Cheshire wrote:

In the MHonArc mail archive there are often super-long lines, which would be
wrapped to the window width when viewing in most mail clients, but when
viewed in a web browser they appear as long single lines which take a lot of
left-to-right scrolling to read them.

For example:
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/renum/current/msg00060.html>

This appears to be due to MHonArc's use of the PRE tag, which tells the web
browser to display the literal text exactly as given, in a fixed-width font.

The MHonArc FAQ suggests a couple of solutions to this problem:

Can long lines be wrapped in converted messages?

<http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/faq/mime.html#lineclip>

Can the <PRE> tags be removed from converted messages?

<http://www.mhonarc.org/MHonArc/doc/faq/mime.html#removepre>

Can we consider using either of these options?

Using "maxwidth=xxx" would solve this problem, though of course it opens the
debate about what's the right value for "xxx".

Using "nonfixed" has the nice property of letting the web browser wrap the
text to the window width, but might break ASCII-art diagrams. Perhaps that
could be fixed by making the default font a fixed-width one (e.g. via style
sheet) and using the "keepspace" option, which would give us monospaced text
while still allowing the web browser to wrap the text to the current window
width.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
* Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Inc.
* www.stuartcheshire.org