Re: MHonArc mail archive line wrapping

2011-02-17 14:36:40
On 15 Feb, 2011, at 13:32, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

As for the list archives, you can make the lines wrap by changing the style sheet (or use an appropriate user style sheet), for instance,

  pre { white-space: pre-wrap; }

Thanks, this worked like a charm.

<sarcasm>
And of course the great advantage of having every user do this individually, instead of just changing the web site, is that only the inner circle of those "in the know" get the benefit of a readable mail archive.
</sarcasm>

That is the result of some clients and users violating netiquette and mail standards, for instance, RFC 1855, section 2.1.1:

  - Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line
    with a carriage return.

I'm sure that was all wonderful back in the century of teletypes and (if you were very lucky) a 80-column VT100 terminal, but these days I read email on devices ranging from my phone at one end of the spectrum to my desktop computer with dual 30-inch displays at the other.

On my 30-inch displays your hard-wrapped text appears as a thin narrow ribbon of text no matter how wide the window is, and on my phone your hard-wrapped lines are too long to fit so they get re- wrapped to that charming long/short/long/short pattern so characteristic of hard-wrapped text displayed on any device other than the one it was created on.

Stuart Cheshire <cheshire(_at_)apple(_dot_)com>
* Wizard Without Portfolio, Apple Inc.
* www.stuartcheshire.org

PNG image