Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-03-30 09:12:33

On 3/30/2011 1:21 PM, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
The main difference is between his and this draft is that John's I-D makes
the person the chair delegates to a non-voting liaison. I have a small
preference for the IAB and the IESG keeping the control point,

I promise that what follows is not free-association, even if one or another segment starts to feel otherwise. But I decided to write this as a journey, rather than a concise statement of preference, of only because this stuff doesn't lend itself to certitude...

As part of my few weeks of transition time, prior to joining the 'other' side of the IAOC -- in an hour or so -- I have been trying to understand the pros and cons in having these ex officio positions able to vote. (This was/is meant as an abstract exercise in organization design, and most definitely has nothing to do with any specific actors in this space, past present or future. I think about design frequently and this is just one more opportunity.)

One reaction I've had is that all the ex officio folk are overloaded from their "day job" with the IETF. Appointing a different ex officio person -- eg, another IAB or IESG person -- is not likely to fix this as much as one would wish, given /their/ workloads. For example, during my nomcom tenure last year, the clear sense was that AD work is essentially full-time, as a practical matter. I also noted the concern already posted on this thread about continuity of such an appointee.

Another issue that occurred to me, as I was first looking at the design of this group I'm about to join, was whether the non-ex officio members are likely to carry more of the workload and/or have more long-term focus, given the lack of distraction with duties in another IETF group. (Again, I'm not basing this on any observation of folk, just looking at this in terms of Organizational Design.)

My own thinking then played with a rather obvious change to "we should make the ex officio folk more like liaisons" and add some 'independent' appointment positions."

I like voting positions that bring as little baggage into the room as possible. Complex topics get more complicated when the folks voting are tightly coupled to other pieces of the organization pie. Having voters be relatively more independent makes the operational forces simpler.

However, one effect of what I've just described is almost certainly more Nomcom work and I feel certain my proposing that will cause a revival of some medieval execution methods. On me.

So my brain then went to:

The ex officio positions are non-voting liaisons, delegated or not, but they also should appoint a person who is /not/ from their body as a voting person.

And that's my thought at this moment...

d/

--

  Dave Crocker