Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-03-30 07:51:11
I was not assuming that delegation was limited to another member of the same NomCom-reviewed body. One case was that you might delegate to a NomCom-reviewed member who then leaves the NomCom-reviewed body. If the NomCom-reviewed chair and the NomCom-reviewed body were OK with that person continuing to serve as the delegate, how wrong is that?

I was assuming that the delegating chair/CEO would still be responsible for the performance of this role, and the IETF Chair and IAB Chair are both evaluated by NomCom, so I'm not sure why this is different from being a liaison manager to another SDO - the IAB is responsible for shepherding that liaison relationship, but most of the liaison managers are not NomCom-reviewed (and none of them are NomCom-evaluated as liaison managers).

I would be OK with adding "serves at the pleasure of". I understood Olaf's text to cover "for more than one IAOC telechat, but not for life", and would be OK with saying "and while this delegation is effective".

But I'm still thinking, of course.

Spencer

----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry Leiba" <barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>
To: "Henk Uijterwaal" <henk(_dot_)uijterwaal(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:29 AM
Subject: Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

I agree with Henk's modification -- in fact, my brain read it into it
already, which is why I didn't say it too.  The delegation should only
be allowed to another member of the delegator's body.

I think you mean:

The delegation is for an one year term, aligned with the IAB and IESG
appointment cycles and can be renewed.

Ah.  Why, then?  Shouldn't the delegation be at the pleasure of the
delegator, without an explicit term?  If the officer sees the need to
reclaim the ex-officio position directly, she should be allowed to.
If the officer thinks the delegate isn't doing well, she should be
able to change the delegate.

Barry