Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-03-30 10:50:26
Hi, Brian,

On 2011-03-31 01:18, Joe Touch wrote:

I find myself very torn on this proposal. Believe me, I understand the
workload issue. But on the other hand, at the very beginning of my
time as IETF Chair, I experienced the *previous* workload issue,
when there was no IASA, IAD or IAOC. There was a dramatic decrease
when the IAD arrived and the IAOC (and Trust) started to function.
But the IETF Chair, as a full member of the IAOC, still got to
understand the ongoing issues and of course influence the decision
process. Yes, it was part of the workload, and I think that was
a good thing. I'm very concerned about the IETF Chair getting decoupled
from the IAOC. The IETF Chair's job is a whole lot more than being
IESG Chair, and some degree of personal responsibility for oversight of
the administrative work seems to me to be appropriate.

So I'm not at all sure this delegation is a good thing.

I'm not commenting on the IAB Chair and ISOC CEO slots. Delegation
probably makes sense for them.

For all these positions, if these tasks can be delegated, then perhaps
this is a good opportunity to fraction them out as separate positions
and lighten the workload. If that doesn't make sense, then delegation
doesn't either, IMO.

Joe, that doesn't address my assertion, which is that the IETF Chair
*should* be part of the oversight of running the shop. In my mind
this is a fundamental part of the Chair's job.

Sure; my view is that there are only two viable options:

        - keep the roles integrated

        - separate the roles and appoint them separately

You're arguing for the first case. We're both arguing against ad-hoc delegation.

Joe