Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-03-30 08:00:25

"Brian" == Brian E Carpenter <Brian> writes:
    Brian> I find myself very torn on this proposal. Believe me, I
    Brian> understand the workload issue. But on the other hand, at the
    Brian> very beginning of my time as IETF Chair, I experienced the
    Brian> *previous* workload issue, when there was no IASA, IAD or
    Brian> IAOC. There was a dramatic decrease when the IAD arrived and
    Brian> the IAOC (and Trust) started to function.  But the IETF
    Brian> Chair, as a full member of the IAOC, still got to understand
    Brian> the ongoing issues and of course influence the decision
    Brian> process. Yes, it was part of the workload, and I think that
    Brian> was a good thing. I'm very concerned about the IETF Chair
    Brian> getting decoupled from the IAOC. The IETF Chair's job is a
    Brian> whole lot more than being IESG Chair, and some degree of
    Brian> personal responsibility for oversight of the administrative
    Brian> work seems to me to be appropriate.

I got the impression that the purpose of this was that the IETF Chair
could ask someone else to attend a meeting (I specifically do not mean
an IETF meeting) on s/he behalf.

A typical reason might be due to need to attend to personal issues
(i.e. can't travel for the next month due to sick mother....).  For
continuity reasons, having sent Person Y to meeting Z, it might make
sense to continue to send Person Y for a period of a few months.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.