Re: IAOC: delegating ex-officio responsibility

2011-04-02 03:29:29

[as editor:]

It seems that the high order bit of this discussion circles around the question
on whether it a requirement for the IETF Chair to have a voting position in
order to effectively perform oversight. Once we figured out where we want to go
with that we can think about delegation by the chair vs appointment by the
bodies and the implementation details with respect to the trust.

[as olaf:]

I agree that the IETF chair needs to have a good oversight about what goes on
in the IETF, to a lesser extend it is good that the IAB has that oversight too
(specifically with respect to its chartered responsibilities) but I wonder if a
voting membership is the appropriate instrument.

I believe effective oversight depends on having the appropriate high level
information and having the opportunity to timely inject information that is
needed to steer an outcome. An alternative method for sharing and injecting is
having regular meetings between the I* chairs and the ISOC President/CEO. I
believe that such meetings are much more effective for the parties involved
than being exposed to all details.

This only an illustration of an instrument, there may be other instruments for
oversight as well. But I do not think the ex-officio membership is the only
method.

--Olaf

                                       Science Park 140,