Re: Review of: draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-03

2011-05-02 12:11:47
Richard L. Barnes <rbarnes(_at_)bbn(_dot_)com> wrote:

Search on "whitelist ipv6".  Results are topical.

   Indeed, folks are talking about "ipv6 whitelist" right now; and I
guess they're referring to the same thing this I-D discusses...

What's the conflict here?

   What does "ipv6 whitelist" mean to the average reader?

   Most of the links I found were considerably less helpful than the
I-D itself. Hopefully they are discussing what this I-D specifies, but
I'm not entirely certain...
"
" When implemented, DNS whitelisting in practice means that a domain's
" authoritative DNS will return a AAAA resource record to DNS recursive
" resolvers [RFC1035] on the whitelist, while returning no AAAA
" resource records to DNS resolvers which are not on the whitelist.

   As I read it, this says that certain DNS servers will be configured
to _not_ return AAAA records to AAAA queries by default.

   This strikes me as a really-strange transition mechanism.

   Color me thoroghly confused.

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>