Re: How to pay $47 for a copy of RFC 793

2011-05-09 04:53:28
Hi,

Today if you're an IEEE type, and you wonder where to find RFC 793, or
you're wondering what RFC 793 is about, and you look it up in IEEE
Xplore, the online library that all electrical engineers use, and that
their employers have site subscriptions for, you'll find ... nothing.
Yes, you can find it in Google, but Google isn't a particularly good
place to look for engineering papers.  Xplore is.  RFCs aren't in the
ACM Digital Library, either, same problem.
Nor is it in Google Scholar, which is generally where I look first.

As a KDE user, I use the incredibly short shortcut of typing "Alt+F2"
and then rfc:793<Enter>

(which redirects to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc793.txt, not the GED
hardcopy reseller :-) )

But maybe "an IEEE type" (whatever that is) doesn't use KDE. Or any kind
of search engine that would yield the document in a fraction of a
second. Or the internet at all?

Stefan Winter

--

Stefan WINTER