Re: Google Scholar, was How to pay $47 for a copy of RFC 793

2011-05-10 10:36:44
In the case of Google Scholar, I found the guidelines to be a bit
intimidating:

http://scholar.google.com/intl/en/scholar/inclusion.html

but not something that would be hard for the RFC publisher to set up in
a few hours based on the PDF form of the RFCs and the rfc-index.xml file.

Actually, now that I look at their guidelines, I'm sort of surprised
that they're not in Scholar.  They say they'll index HTML versions of
documents so long as they have meta tags that have the title, author,
and other bibliographic info and it has references it can crawl to do
cross links to other documents. The HTML versions in
tools.ietf.org/html look to me like they have the right tags.  The
problem may be that the meta tags are missing some minor item, that it
can't recognize the references sections, which should be a matter of
tweaking the HTML a little bit, or maybe that there isn't a TOC page
that lets it recognize all the RFCs as a collection.

Whatever it is, it doesn't look like it'd be hard for someone with
sufficient spare time to fix.

R's,
John