Re: Gen-ART LC review of draft-faltstrom-5892bis-04

2011-06-07 16:44:39
On Jun 7, 2011, at 3:56 AM, rontlv wrote:

The IANA registry is in
http://www.iana.org/assignments/idnabis-tables/idnabis-tables.xml#idnabis-ta
bles-properties
I saw that in the beginning it has as reference RFC 5892 for the whole
table. Will it stay this way after the change proposed in this draft and
just the three individual values will change based on 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3? or
are there no changes in the IANA registry at all. This is unclear to me
according to the section 3 of your draft.

Section 5.1 of RFC5892 says "If non-backward-compatible changes or other
problems arise during the
  creation or designated expert review of the table of derived property
  values, they should be flagged for the IESG." . My question was if the
change is backward compatible. The 5892bis draft does not say it.

Ah, very good catch! My earlier comment about us listing this new RFC in the
registry is, in fact, wrong.

When we wrote RFC 5892, we said:
   IANA has created a registry with the derived properties for the
   versions of Unicode released after (and including) version 5.2.
That's one registry that has the properties for most current version of Unicode
at any given time. Thus, the registry would be updated *even if* we didn't
publish 5892bis. We are not updating either 5892, nor the registry, by
publishing 5892bis. We are simply giving IETF consensus advice about what we
think the expert reviewer who updates the registry should consider.

Our IANA considerations in 5892bis are:
   IANA is to update the derived property value registry according to
   RFC 5892 and property values as defined in The Unicode Standard
   version 6.0.
That might sound like they are initiating the registry update, but they really
aren't: the update was already specified in 5892. We can change the IANA
considerations to reflect that:
   IANA will update the derived property value registry according to
   RFC 5892 and property values as defined in The Unicode Standard
   version 6.0, regardless of the content of this RFC.

--Paul Hoffman