Re: [v6ops] Last Call: <draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-to-historic-04.txt>

2011-06-09 21:41:35
Mark Andrews wrote:

In message "Randy Presuhn" writes:

We can't compel people to continue supporting it any more than we can
make them stop.  At most, we can give them (hopefully convincing) reasons
to change.  If the SNMP experience shows anything, it shows that even
that isn't enough.  For that reason, I find it amusing when others write of
"killing" 6to4.  We don't have that kind of power.

But you can give them a big excuse not to support it.

Customer: "Where did the 6to4 support go?"
Vendor: "The IETF declared it historic so we removed it."

Vendor: "I repeat the IETF declared it historic."

6to4 on by default is wrong.

Making 6to4 historic is a knee jerk reaction to a bad default setting.
Fix the default.  Don't make 6to4 historic.

I fully agree about your description of the purpose of "historic"
for vendor and its usage by vendors.

The only sensible use of historic is to promote active de-support
on the part of vendors -- literally for "ripping things out".

I just did that myself 4 weeks ago, justifying the complete removal
of support for MD2-based digital signatures from our PKI software
with a pointer to

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6149   "MD2 to Historic Status"

Moving 6to4 seems premature by several years.

-Martin