Re: Last Call: <draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-06.txt> (Reducing the Standards Track to Two Maturity Levels) to BCP

2011-06-11 08:47:41
11.06.2011 10:59, Julian Reschke wrote:
On 2011-06-11 06:36, Mykyta Yevstifeyev wrote:
whereas you propose making I-Ds almost Standards Track. As it was
discussed before, there is an evidence of leaving PSs without any
action/progress; introducing "Stable Snapshots" there might occur
"Stable Snapshots" left without any action, like PSs. But PSs are RFCs
at least and I-Ds are "nothing-as-per-2026". Adopting this proposal
might result in implementators claiming "we implement "Stable Snapshot"
of the Internet-Draft", which is unacceptable, IMO.

Out of curiosity: why do you find that "unacceptable"?

It's *good* when the stuff in IDs gets implemented, and it's also good if there's clear information *which* draft is implemented.

What can be problematic is when products are *released* with this kind of implementation.
Under-development implementation is doubtlessly useful. Above under "implementing" I meant final implementation, incorporating some technology in the final product. Introducing "Stable Snaps" is very likely to make such cases more frequent, as they will be made almost equal to RFCs.

Mykyta Yevstifeyev
Best regards, Julian