Re: [codec] Last Call: <draft-ietf-codec-requirements-04.txt> (Codec Requirements) to Informational RFC

2011-06-20 08:32:42

This is all a sort of confusing point of many IETF documents and not unique to
this one. I think the important points is that for many IETF documents, the
people listed on the front page are not the authors. Typically the list of
authors is a much longer list. And to clarify what I mean by Author, I mean it
in the sense that it would used in copyright law. I do think the
Acknowledgements section needs to identity anyone who is a contributor to the
document. The limit on number of people on the front pages makes it impossible
to even put all the authors on the front page if we wanted to.

So my main point is, just because someone is listed on front page or not,
should not be used to decide if they are an author or not.

The use of "Ed." has been a bit inconsistent at the IETF and I'm not aware of
good guidelines on how and when to use it. Traditionally when we have had a few
people producing the drafts and incorporating work from the multiple people in
on the mailing list, the people where were actively editing the document have
often been listed on the front page. There are many exception to this - I was a
bit cheesed to not be listed on the front page of RFC 4244.

Back to the matter at hand ... This is a pretty classic sort of document where
an individual draft got selected as a basis for the WG document, multiple
people in the WG contributed text, a final draft was produced. Historically,
most IETF docs like this do not put "Ed" after all the people on the front
page. However, perhaps we should, I don't really have any strong opinion one
way or the other. I can confirm that this document, like many documents coming
out of a WG,  includes contribution from people beyond the list of names on the
front page.

Cullen