Re: External IPR Disclosures vs IPR disclosures in the document.

2011-06-22 10:31:35
Mike,

Answer from a 10Km altitude perspective...

Our rules do not have dependencies on particular licensing
terms, whether RAND, free license, free without any notification
or specific license, defensive/reciprocal, or otherwise.   The
obligation of authors and companies is to disclose whatever it
is they need to disclose and, optionally whatever licensing
terms they feel they want to disclose along with it.  After
that, it is up to the WG and, ultimately, the community on Last
Call.   Absolutely nothing in the rules would prohibit us from
standardizing a technology that requires an expensive license,
negotiated on an individual basis and with no promises of fair
or equitable treatment for license applicants.

In practice, I have doubts that any technology with those sorts
of restrictions would actually be standardized by the IETF
community, but there is no formal bar to trying (or to
identifying an I-D with an intended Standards-Track status).

  john

--On Wednesday, June 22, 2011 11:11 -0400 Michael StJohns