Re: HOMENET working group proposal

2011-06-30 02:26:18
On 06/30/2011 02:26 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
Rather than having another of an endless series of discussions about
the merits of NAT or lack thereof, can we just agree that it should
not be pre-ordained that this WG should assume NAT as a solution?

I was originally arguing, at the very least, in favour of a stateful
firewall at the border.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what the IETF has already
proposed (output of v6ops) for v6.

I don't think you want your home network to be owned as a result of last
"patch Tuesday" set of vulnerabilities... or that you want a brittle
printer or fridge possibly impossible to patch) to be DoSed/owned just
because it was cool to have it available on the Internet. (nor should we
expect them to run a "host-based" firewall).

Many/most networks are there to provide a specific service to their
users (not for us to experiment with) -- whether we like it or not. As
long as they are able to provide that service, I don't find a compelling
reason for them to increase risk through unnecessary increased exposure.

(Yes, in those cases in which you *need* increased exposure, you open
your network -- i.e., "default deny")

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando(_at_)gont(_dot_)com(_dot_)ar || fgont(_at_)acm(_dot_)org