Re: SORBS blacklist

2011-07-01 11:59:58
Paul Hoffman <paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org> wrote:
On Jul 1, 2011, at 4:48 AM, John Leslie wrote:

mail.ietf.org[64.170.98.30] got listed on SORBS for spamming.

It's not that hard to get off... Fix it!

It's also not that hard not to use poorly-managed blacklists. Just sayin'....

   I'm _really_ poor at flame-wars, but Paul is begging here...

   It's exceptionally hard for folks to avoid poorly-managed blacklists
when the incoming-email setup isn't under their control. (Not true for
me, of course, nor for my customers if they think to ask.)

   IMHO, it's entirely reasonable to use even poorly-managed blacklists
as input to spam-assassin. And it's not up to _you_ to say what the
scoring algorithm should be for one of my customers.

   Also, it's really not rocket-science to log the 550 replies to
mailing-list distribution attempts: these _will_ accumulate quickly
if something the size of mail.ietf.org gets on a blacklist (poorly-
managed or otherwise).

   The state-of-the-art in spam-abatement is far short of what it
should be. Folks who receive 100 spams per day tend to ask for more
aggressive spam-abatement, and it's not good business to refuse.

   Also, poorly-managed is in the eye of the beholder. sorbs.net is
among the mainstream, alas; and while _I_ won't argue whether they're
well-managed, there are plenty of folks who will.

   I recommend against blanket "blame-the-receiver" policies. I have
customers that have received over 6,000 spams per day when I turned
off "all" spam-abatement for them: that's far beyond reasonable
"blame-the-receiver" territory. They _must_ do something, and I'm
not going to criticize what they do.

   Please, everyone, understand that recipients _can't_ do the whole
job on spam-abatement. Folks running mailing-lists for organizations
like the IETF need to do their part, and are in a better position
than some of my customers to bear the cost.

   (BTW, I did get a ticket in the system _well_ before my posting
here. I won't quote the reply; but I think it would be helpful for
the folks who process such tickets to post on this thread.)

--
John Leslie <john(_at_)jlc(_dot_)net>